THE CRIME STOPPERS PROMISE OF ANONYMITY
WHAT TIPSTERS NEED TO KNOW
By providing information that Crime Stoppers will share with law enforcement agencies, you are providing an important and valuable public service. We understand that disclosure of your identity might put you at risk. We do everything we can to protect your anonymity. However, that anonymity may be open to challenge in the following situations:
- A call to Crime Stoppers made with the intention of “furthering criminal activity or interfering with the administration of justice”. A party who is guilty of a crime cannot use Crime Stoppers to try to divert the blame onto someone else. Crime Stoppers cannot be used to try to “frame” an innocent person.
- There is evidence that disclosure of some or all of a tip is necessary to establish someone’s innocence.
- A tipster having received the benefit of full legal advice may, for his or her own reasons, elect to waive the privilege.
For a fuller explanation of these principles, help us to help you by reading and understanding [the information in this link].
How Crime Stoppers Works
Crime Stoppers of Hamilton Inc. is a community run program involving a partnership of law enforcement, the media and the community, “ all working together to help solve crime” It is a charity whose purpose is the detection, apprehension and conviction of criminals, the recovery of stolen property and the seizure of illicit drugs.
Members of the public are encouraged through the offer of a reward and the guarantee of anonymity to provide information that may assist law enforcement agencies to solve crime. Information provided to Crime Stoppers is not traceable back to the person who provided it. Once received, it is passed on to the proper authorities. If the information leads to a positive outcome, the person who provided the information will be eligible for a cash reward, which is paid anonymously. The amount of the award depends upon the significance of the information and severity of the crime. You NEVER have to reveal your identity!
Anonymity Guaranteed – Contacting Crime Stoppers – 24/7
1. Call our direct line at 1 800 222 TIPS (8477). You will be assigned a special code number (PIN) which you will identify yourself with in all future dealings with Crime Stoppers. Your call will not be traced nor recorded. CRIME STOPPERS DOES NOT SUBSCRIBE TO CALL DISPLAY. You cannot be called to testify in court as no one will know who you are – not even Crime Stoppers.
2. Go to the web at www.crimestoppershamilton.com and follow the link from the Submit A tip box. A form will come up on the screen. Fill in the information you know. Do not include your name or any information that could identify yourself. You may want to add more information later or we may have additional questions that we like to ask you via the web. To follow-up on this tip anonymously later, you can log into Tip Follow Up , and using a password that you select on the form or one will be assigned to you automatically when you submit this tip. Remember this password as this is the only you can communicate back. When you submit the tip, the link is broken and can’t be traced.
3. Cash Reward – Unlike other reward programs which require “arrest and conviction” before paying for information, Crime Stoppers pays once the information leads to an arrest of the suspect(s) or a positive outcome. Your cash reward will be passed on to you anonymously after you provide the special code assigned to you.
4. Who runs Crime Stoppers ? Crime Stoppers is NOT a police program. Crime Stoppers is run by a citizen volunteer Board of Directors comprised of a group of concerned citizens. The Board administers the fund for reward payments and is responsible for fundraising efforts. Money raised by the Board comes from community events and sponsorship by local citizens and businesses.